WORD PLAY – Designing with meaning
Graphic Arts is all about VISUAL COMMUNICATION.
Practice your ‘visual design skills’ by creating images that represent and look like the words they are made of.
Choose words that can be drawn so that their shape shows the meaning of the word.
Some words inspire their own visual solution, while others need more thought… be creative
THIS IS A HAND-DRAWN ASSIGNMENT!
– A list of AT LEAST 15 words that represent actions or objects.
– At least 8 rough sketches where you tried out some solutions
– 2 good copies that fill a regular 8.5 x 11 page each.
– The shape should show the meaning clearly
– There should be nothing besides the letters of the word to show the shape
– Final versions can have multiple colours
TIP: Images having to do with water are hardest to make work, so avoid them!
List of 15 words, 8 rough sketches, 2 good copies with shape that has meaning. Creative ideas, solid colours.
Include shading or shadows to make your images stand out.