MAKE A SPOOF AD (or Magazine Cover)
When advertisers try to sell you something, they hire an agency to solicit proposals, or because they have a ‘vision’ in mind. For this assignment you need to make a SPOOF ad, so you need to know what you want to make fun of, and how you can MODIFY a design or concept BEFORE you go into production.
– A sample ad (or magazine cover) you will spoof or recreate in a humorous way.
– A proposal explaining what part of the ad you plan to spoof – Approved before you start.
– A complete ad that incorporates graphics, some text, and possibly some photos.
- Find an ad (or magazine cover) you want to spoof / modify in some way – on-line or in magazines
- See the Ad Busters site or my COWSMOPOLITAN magazines
- Complete the proposal, and have it approved by your teacher.
- What is your ORIGINAL ad about?
- What techniques are they using, what mood, colours effects etc?
- What are you recreating or spoofing?
- Who do you intend to change / how do you plan to make your point? (OR what do you need to do in order to have the same look as the original?)
- Take some photos
- Your ad (or magazine cover) should use photos you have taken
- Keep all images to submit, regardless of whether you used them or not
- Create / modify your designs
- You can edit the original ad (or magazine cover) in Photoshop
- Changes should be significant enough to warrant taking 4 classes to do assignment.
- Design your ad (or magazine cover), using Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator
- Submit your completed ad (or magazine cover) and ‘inspiration’ pieces all in one folder.
KEY CRITERIA: Written Plan and Explanation, look maintained, Complexity, Photography
Photo THREE: THINKING:
- Show your finished ad to a classmate and get their response – record their response
- Is the spoof clear?
- What could have been done better?
- If you have time, take their suggestion and make the change!